The latest episode of This Place is Nimkii.
It's 1990 on the Wabaseemoong Reserve, and a group has just blocked the Children's Aid Society from entering their community and taking any more of their children. After the confrontation, Sixties Scoop survivor Nimkii shares with her daughter the story of her life, and the promise she made to a little boy.
This Place is now available to follow on CBC Listen and wherever you get your podcasts. It will also be broadcast this summer on Sirius XM on Mondays at 4 p.m., Tuesdays on CBC Radio at 7:30 p.m. and Fridays at 1 p.m. on CBC Radio.
- How to Open Closed Adoption Records for Native American Children (updated 2021)
- LOST CHILDREN BOOK SERIES
- NEW! Help for First Nations Adoptees (Canada)
- Split Feathers Study
- The reunification of First Nations adoptees (2016)
- You're Breaking Up: Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl #ICWA
- FAQ ICWA 2016
- Indian Child Welfare Act organizations
- About the Indian Adoption Projects
- How to Search (adoptees)
- Soaring Angels (UPDATE 2020)
- THE PLACEMENT OF AMERICAN INDIAN CHILDREN - THE NEED FOR CHANGE (1974)
- NEW: Study by Jeannine Carriere (First Nations) (2007)
- NEW STUDY: Post Adoption (Australia)
- Dr. Raven Sinclair
- Laura Briggs: Feminists and the Baby Veronica Case...
- Bibliography (updated)
- Adopt an Elder: Ellowyn Locke (Oglala Lakota)
- TWO NATIONS: Navajo (Boarding School)
- Survivor Not Victim (my interview with Von)
- Adoption History
- Native American News Outlets
- First Nations Repatriation Institute
- FREE REGISTRY (sign up at ISRR)
- Genealogy\Indian Affairs 2021
- About Trace
How to Use this Blog
Search This Blog
You are not alone
Thursday, August 5, 2021
Nimkii THIS PLACE (podcast)
The latest episode of This Place is Nimkii.
Canada's Residential Schools
The Justice Department is protecting the names of many perpetrators of abuse of Indigenous children.— Charlie Angus NDP (@CharlieAngusNDP) July 8, 2021
We need a special independent prosecutor who can force the government and church to turn over the documents.
There can be no reconciliation without justice.@MumilaaqQaqqaq pic.twitter.com/5TL6OxKM5O
This is a map of every residential "school" site in Canada.— Mumilaaq Qaqqaq (@MumilaaqQaqqaq) June 24, 2021
Every dot is a crime scene.
Only a few have been investigated so far.
Canada, do not get used to these numbers.
Do not let them become statistics.
Put yourselves in the shoes of these children in the ground. pic.twitter.com/5XJS1w1ka2
Most READ Posts
Truth and Healing Commission on Indian Boarding School Policy | Bill Addresses Cultural Genocide Caused by Indian Boarding SchoolsLost Sparrow movie/all are adoptees For about 100 years, the U.S. government supported a system of boarding schools where more than 100,00...
Editor NOTE: This is one of our most popular posts so we are reblogging it. If you do know where Michael Schwartz is, please leave a com...
Kevin Ost-Vollmers and Shelise Gieseke at Land of Gazillion Adoptees Blog said Feb. 26th begins BLOG WEEK to answer this question: “Why ...
I could on for an hour about this but I won't. Fathers have rights and this time, a father got his daughter back af...
Facts About Adoption You Won’t Hear from Adoption Professionals Every November we post accuracy about the effects of adoption on the adopt...
Eric Schweig Born: Ray Dean Thrasher on 19 June 1967 Inuvik , Northwest Territories , Canada Occupation Actor/Artisan/...
This incredible interview with Jennifer Lauck, author of FOUND, struck a chord with me. Please read it: http://www.examiner.com/open-ado...
Evangelicals and right-wing organizations like the Goldwater Institute, have been leading the charge to get rid of the Indian Child Welfare ...
White Earth Nation welcomes adoptees home by Dan Gunderson , Minnesota Public Radio October 5, 2007 Listen to feature audio This w...
- Canada pledges millions to search for residential ...
- Wisconsin had at least 10 Institutions for children
- Squamish Nation to Investigate St. Paul’s Indian R...
- Ceremony, Investigation and Negotiations (Edmonton...
- Lummi Nation reimagines foster care for Indigenous...
- A Crime: Police handling 4 residential school inve...
- News: ICWA, This Land podcast (and more)
- We Need To Think in Terms of Healing All People
- Stewart Indian School’s 200 unmarked graves
- NEWS: Million Pledged, Unmarked Graves, Secretaria...
- There’s a new federal holiday in Canada in Septemb...
- We are not supposed to know
- THIS LAND: Season 2 Podcast Debuts August 23
- Shawnee Indian Mission
- How Native students fought back against abuse and ...
- American Bar Association Calls on Congress to Inve...
- New Hope for Answers (and ground-penetrating radar)
- How Much Does Ground Penetrating Radar Cost?
- TRUE OR FALSE: Abuse Against Men
- Prosecuting crimes at Indian residential schools i...
- Stories from Survivors | Long History of Crimes Ag...
- Ask yourself: “how many schools do you know that h...
- Outrage at Catholic Church's use of millions meant...
- Canadian priest banned after downplaying residenti...
- Lower Kootenay Band says remains of 182 human bein...
- What's News? Tweets
- 'Killers of the Flower Moon' filming continues in ...
- Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry a...
- Genocide: Canada’s Residential Schools Were a Horror
- Searching for residential school graves in Onion L...
- Truth Before Reconciliation #denialism
- Nimkii THIS PLACE (podcast)
- Harbinger for things to come
- ▼ August (33)
- ► 2020 (107)
- ► 2019 (202)
- ► 2018 (97)
- ► 2017 (148)
- ► 2016 (198)
- ► 2015 (175)
- ► 2014 (168)
- ► 2013 (222)
- ► 2012 (169)
- ► 2011 (144)
- ► 2010 (52)
What our Nations are up against!
To Veronica Brown
Veronica, we adult adoptees are thinking of you today and every day. We will be here when you need us. Your journey in the adopted life has begun, nothing can revoke that now, the damage cannot be undone. Be courageous, you have what no adoptee before you has had; a strong group of adult adoptees who know your story, who are behind you and will always be so.
Did you know?
Diane Tells His Name
where were you adopted?
The truth is that it is a very lucrative business with a known sales pitch. With profits last estimated at over $1.44 billion dollars a year, mothers who consider adoption for their babies need to be very aware that all of this promotion clouds the facts and only though independent research can they get an accurate account of what life might be like for both them and their child after signing the adoption paperwork.
Original Birth Certificate Map in the USA
Why tribes do not recommend the DNA swab
Detailed discussion of the Bering Strait theory and other scientific theories about the population of the modern-day Americas is beyond the scope of this essay. However, it should be noted that Indian people have expressed suspicion that DNA analysis is a tool that scientists will use to support theories about the origins of tribal people that contradict tribal oral histories and origin stories. Perhaps more important,the alternative origin stories of scientists are seen as intending to weaken tribal land and other legal claims (and even diminish a history of colonialism?) that are supported in U.S. federal and tribal law. As genetic evidence has already been used to resolve land conflicts in Asian and Eastern European countries, this is not an unfounded fear.