Here are some of the other resources I suggest to learn more about Native American adoption in the U.S.:
- The documentary Blood Memory, featuring my friend and amazing advocate, Sandy Whitehawk. Sandy is the founder of First Nations Repatriation Institute and created Welcoming Home ceremonies for adoptees and former fosterees (and generously included non-Native adoptees)
- Bitterroot: A Salish Memoir of Transracial Adoption by Susan Devan Harness
- The work of Dr. Raven Sinclair (her work is from a Canadian context which had a similar history as the U.S.)
- The National Indian Child Welfare Association website. They have an online Indian Child Welfare Training available here.
- The Relational Worldview training series (I was part of developing this training) featuring Terry Cross, available at the Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare.
- Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz’s excellent book, An Indigenous People’s History of the United States.
- American Indian Adoptees blog
- Information about the Indian Adoption Project by the UpStander Project